Out of the darkness comes the light. The Phoenix rises out of the ashes. 2020 has been the most tumultuous year of darkness and ashes of recent memory, how have you found your purpose in these dark times?
So far, this 2020 has been replete with the unexpected and unknown, with crisis and change. Understandably, with crisis like these comes fear and anxiety.
What’s the best way to survive these unprecedented times?
Critical for the survival of any crisis is resilience, optimism, hope, and the ability to seek the ‘silver lining’ within the darkest times. Remembering that we are all in this together helps us stay positive and hopeful. When we recognize that our global humanity relies on our individual compassion, kindness, and awareness of others, we will prevail and get through this together.
The best ways to stay positive during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Use technology to stay connected virtually. There are many platforms that can be used to meet virtually, even when we can’t meet in person. Businesses, groups, family, and friends utilize these virtual rooms for a command center, check-ins, on-the-fly meetings, and other office and face-to-face interactions.
- Use the forced ’shut down’ to learn something new and celebrate each small victory of accomplishment
- Connect and be present with family
- Focus on the future and imagine all that good that can come from these strange times
- Take breaks often to break up the monotony and move around
- Tackle a home or personal project you have been putting off
- Bond with your pets by playing with them, walking them, etc.
- Get still and spend time with yourself strategizing changes you need to make, goals you want to set, etc.
- It is ok to feel bored at the time. Don’t try to medicate or distract yourself. Sitting with boredom can reveal some creative ideas too.
What can you do to take care of yourself and remain hopeful?
- Exercise helps to create happy hormones, improving your mood.
- Be mindful of your thoughts, stay positive and look for the good in everything
- Surround yourself with positive and supportive people
- Disconnect from news and social media allowing the space you need to filter out what is not useful
- Remain resilient and know that you are equipped to handle whatever comes your way
- Laugh often
- Be kind to those around you
- Do what you can to support your local businesses and neighbors
Check-in with your people often. Sometimes it will be you who needs support and there will be times when you are there to support your people. I have successfully made it through my bad days one hundred percent of the time. While there have been some times of great pain, there was always great reformation that resulted. Through these tough times, like the tough times before, the way I survive and thrive is through remaining kind, supportive, positive, and holding space for each other to be the unique and beautiful individuals that we are and extending grace and compassion to others as well as myself.